Summer Reading at the Central Library
Each summer the Monroe County Library System and Rochester Public Library participate in the New York State Library Summer Reading Program. This year’s slogan is “A Universe of Stories” to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing. The goal of summer reading programs are:
- Advance literacy and academic performance by engaging children and teens in reading and reading-related activities during the summer months.
- Foster a love of reading through public library programs and services.
- Increase successful reading experiences through librarian-supported, self-selected, voluntary reading.
- Involve parents and all family members in the library summer reading experience.
- Improve children’s access to library materials and activities, which will encourage them to become lifelong library users.
The Central Library of Rochester is a critical partner in the advancement of early grade literacy. Stop into the Children’s Center at the Central Library to sign up for Summer Reading and click here for more information on summer reading impact: http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/libdev/summer/research.htm